Friday, January 20, 2012

detox - day 4

I am happy to report that I slept much better last night! And I have to say that I'm very thankful that my schedule has been lighter this week to give me time to catch up with some projects, do more research on the raw/vegan diet and get some extra sleep.

After rolling out of bed at 10am this morning, I took my supplements and made my green meal shake. In terms of symptoms, I woke up with a mild headache (one of the typical symptoms of this detox) and again had a slight runny nose after taking my supplements. My BM was normal, again.

After drinking my shake, I dressed and then packed my food/beverages for the afternoon: a green juice (kale, celery, green apple, ginger & lemon) that Andrew and I made the night before and my kamut water. Can you tell which is which in the picture below?

Then I was off to my Daily Method class. It was not as much fun with the headache, but I powered through it somehow. After class I hit the juice bar down the street from DM for my usual: THE GRAND SLAM - a shot (2 ounces) of wheatgrass, ginger, coconut water and watermelon. It hits the spot every time!

With the extra boost of energy, I was off to run some errands and then headed to CAA to teach. I drank my green juice and kamut water while teaching, which is one of the cool benefits of a liquid meal! Later when I got home I was pretty famished (this was about 3 hours after drinking my green juice), so I opened up my sweet potato chips and dipped them into some Mexican cheese (a raw vegan dip made with nuts and spices that I picked up at Karyn's Fresh Corner).

A few hours later I was hungry, so I decided to try the kelp noodles I had picked up at Karyn's. I had some brocolli to use up in the fridge, so I decided to make a pesto with it - yes another pesto, but who can blame me - it's so yummy! In addition to the brocolli, I added 1 avocado, 1/2 cup pine of nuts and a cup of cashews (both soaked for a few hours), fresh basil and oregeno, juice from 1 lemon, celtic sea salt and pepper. I will say that broccoli pesto is not my favorite, but it did have a wonderfully creamy texture! I also decided to marinate a portabello mushroom; I used balsamic vinegar, a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. I let it marinate for 2 1/2 hours, which softened the mushroom as if it had been cooked. I put the kelp noodles in a bowl, put the portabello mushroom on top and then spooned some pesto over the mushroom. My taste buds could not have been happier and it made for a very satisfying meal!

About a half hour later, after I planted a new batch of wheatgrass, I ate 2 Chia Moon Drops. This concluded my first day of eating 100% raw and vegan!!!  A few hours later, I downed my psyllium-detox clay cocktail and went to bed.

As for my headache, it stuck around for most of the day - I'm hoping not to have one tomorrow. I will say that I do not miss my headaches. I used to get 1 to 2 killer headaches each month, but once I went vegan, they subsided (until this detox). That is reason enough for me to remain vegan!

In a Native American story a grandfather tells his grandson that two wolves are battling inside him; one ferocious and destructive, the other gentle and powerful. When the child anxiously asks, "Grandfather, which of them will win?" he replies, "Whichever one I feed."


No comments:

Post a Comment