Monday, January 16, 2012

detox - day 1


Upon reading the book, "SOAK YOUR NUTS," I decided to do Karyn Calabrese's detox program. If you have not read this book, I highly recommend it. This is the first day of my 28 day detox...

After I woke up this morning, I weighed myself (124 lbs), ate a clementine and then headed to the gym for my step aerobics class. When I came home, I sorted out all of my supplements for the first week of my detox and began preparing my green meal shake and kamut water. The kamut water can be prepared in advance, so I made enough to last for 4 days and stored it in my favorite Life Factory glass containers. Then I downed my chlorella tablets, fenugreek seed capsules and digestive enzymes (which you have to take before every meal). You are supposed to drink at least 16 ounces of rejuvelac a day, so I made my green meal shake with exactly 16 ounces to give me one less thing to think about.


Within the next hour, I started getting the chills, a bit of a runny nose and some stomach cramping. This is also when the diarrhea began - all of these symptoms are normal for this detox.

Approximately 3 hours after I drank my green meal shake, my symptoms listed above subsided. I also started to feel quite hungry, so I warmed up (on the stove) some leftover mushroom chestnut soup (about 8 ounces). I had planned to go completely raw today, but I decided to postpone that a day or 2. You are not required to go totally raw until week 2 of the detox.

About an hour later Andrew and I started watching Forks over Knives.  I was a bit hungry again, so I rinsed off some romaine lettuce and smeared nut butter down the middle of each leaf. I also ate 4 green olives. This made for a super yummy snack!

After my snack I began sipping my kamut water, which did not taste as bad as I had been anticipating. In fact, it tasted a bit sweet, which I am happy for because I have to drink it every day of this detox.

So after watching the film I decided to take a bath in some epsom salt, which is supposed to aid in the detox process. It was exactly what I needed!

After my bath, I rested for a bit and then took a second dose of chlorella tablets and fenugreek seed capsules (this was approximately 3 hours after my afternoon snack). Then I prepared some quinoa pasta and made some fresh pesto (soaked pine nuts and cashews, fresh basil and oregano, olive oil, salt and pepper) in our new Vita-Mix blender for dinner. I also made another fresh batch of almond milk.

I topped the evening off with the last of my Hail Merry's Meyer Lemon Miracle Tarts, which I split with Andrew, while catching up on the latest Downton Abbey episode.  And I was very thankful to have had the day off to start my detox.  

The last step was to drink a psyllium-detox clay cocktail at the end of the day. This cocktail did not taste bad, but it thickened up very quickly, which gave it a strange texture - it left my stomach feeling very full.  The cocktail also made me feel very drowsy, so I'm hoping for a peaceful night's rest.


In preparation for Week 2 of my detox, I am growing my own wheatgrass!

“If you don't take care of this the most magnificent machine that you will ever be given...where are you going to live?” 

~Karyn Calabrese

No comments:

Post a Comment