Wednesday, October 17, 2012

my big fat salad!



One of my favorite things to eat on those long days when my last meal of the day comes around 10pm is a big fat salad! They fill me up, but don't weigh me down too much before bedtime.  My salad creations have been greatly inspired by Dara Dubinet - I love to watch her YouTube videos on my laptop as I'm preparing my own meals in the kitchen.  Nowadays I think of my salads as works of art and enjoy their complexity of flavors and unique textures.  And there's something wonderful in knowing that each one will never be the same as the one before. Below is a variation on a theme of one of my go-to salads...

ingredients

2 to 3 cups of baby arugula
1 cucumber
1 orange
4 to 5 fresh green figs
fresh turmeric
a handful of fresh dill
a handful of raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup of goji berries
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon pumpkin seed oil or raw hemp seed oil
cracked black pepper

You'll need a large bowl.  Place the baby arugula into the bowl.  Chop up the cucumber and figs into nice small pieces.  Then chop up the dill and grate some fresh turmeric over the top of the salad. Next slice the orange in half. Squeeze half the orange over the salad mix.  With the other half cut out the orange pulp and chop it into small pieces; squeeze the remaining juice over the salad.  Add the rest of the ingredients to your salad bowl and mix. Finish off by cracking some fresh black pepper on top.  


"To me I think artists in general make a statement - and for the rest of their lives - every album, every book - are variations on a theme."

~Mark Mothersbaugh


No comments:

Post a Comment